Monday, March 23, 2009

Coco Chanel

I recently watched a movie called "Coco Chanel". Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel was born in 1883. Her mother died when she was 12 years old of TB. Her father left her and her sister to find work. Gabrielle and her sister lived in an orphanage for 7 years. When she turned 18, she left the orphanage and her sister, to work at the local tailoring shop. While working at the tailor shop, she met a man named Etienne Balsan. They met again one evening at the local bar. Gabrielle had lied about her identity and told people that she was a singer. The men pushed her onto the stage where she sang "Coco". After singing, she soon got the nickname, "Coco". Etienne showed Coco the "rich life" with diamonds, pearls, and lavishing dresses. Coco quit her job at the tailor shop to live at his house in the country. While living with Etienne, Coco began designing hats as a hobby, which soon became a deeper interest of hers. Coco left Etienne and took over his apartment in Paris, France. Coco met up with a former best friend of Etienne Balsan, Arthur "Boy" Capel, with whom she soon fell in love. With his assistance, Coco was able to acquire the property and financial backing to open her second shop. Her hats were worn by celebrated French actresses, which helped to establish her reputation. In 1913, Coco Chanel introduced women’s sportswear at her new boutique in Deauville. Her third shop and biggest store in France was located in Deauville, France, where more women during the World War I era came to realize that women were supposed to dress for themselves and not their men. Boy and Coco were going to be married but on his way to see her, Boy got in a terrible car accident and passed away. Coco did not know what to do but she had to move on and continue on with her dreams. Coco Chanel died in Paris on 10 January 1971, aged 87, in her private suite at the Hotel Ritz.

I learned a lot from this movie. I learned how life throws many obstacles your way that you must overcome to achieve your dreams and aspirations. Coco Chanel taught me that you can make the best out of everything and that strength comes from overcoming your weaknesses. Coco grew up with absolutely nothing. She started her business out of nothing. This just goes to show that if you have a passion to do something that you can do it. Nothing is impossible if you set your heart to it. It's going to be hard, but in the end it is worth every minute. Since I've watched that movie, I have learned to take in some rough times in my life and become a stronger individual. I learn from my mistakes and each and every time that I do this, I become stronger and more independent. Many things happen for a reason, but there is no reason to dwell on the negative things in life. Some things are going to feel insurmountable, but if you find the strength and courage inside you, just as Coco Chanel did, then you can do anything you put your mind to. Coco Chanel isn't just a designer.. She is an inspiring and influential individual to many people all across the world.


p.s. - Mom, I still want that Chanel Purse :]

No comments:

Post a Comment